I’m doing this because I’ve had this album on repeat for the last week and I should get all my initial reactions out. Plus, I have a feeling another member may write about it and I need to be the first one to write about it…Just because.
The album has been promoted so heavily by GaGa. I give her big props on going out everywhere promoting the hell out of it. The album sold 1.1 Million copies in its first week (however, there was some speculation as how it came that way) . But enough about that, it’s all about the music with GaGa, so here’s a quick review of each track. I purchased the deluxe edition with a total of 17 songs as opposed to the standard of 14.
1. Marry The Night – A really good song about GaGa’s love for NYC and how she’ll never be a Hollywood girl. Best part is the chorus with the “M-M-M-Marry the Night” parts. Very “P-P-P-Pokerface P-P-Pokerface”.
2. Born This Way – The title track. I’ve exhausted this song since February when it was released. I usually skip it since I’ve listened to it so much, but every now and then I let it play, but it’s a pretty on-the-nose song about being born the way you are!
3. Government Hooker – This is some dirty Euro-club sounding song. A little slow, but the my favorite lyric, “I’M GONNA DRINK MY TEARS TONIGHT”.
4. Judas – I made a separate entry about this song here
5. Americano – A Latin flavored song, very spicy and very brash. The chorus “AAAH-AMERICA-AMERICANO” comes at you real hard. Pretty dancey, this one is growing on me the more I hear it. The last quarter of the song is straight out of the ABBA generation.
6. Hair – Probably my favorite record. It’s the story of my life about being as free as your hair. Seriously, my dad still gives me a hard time about my hair every time he sees me. Best part: HA-A-A-A-AIR. You’ll know what I’m talking about once you listen to it.
7. Sheiße – I think this is her ‘gayest’ song. It’s so techno dance I have already hit up to around 70x on my playcount. She sings in a mixture of German and some other language. One day I’ll be able to recite it with her.
8. Bloody Mary – This ones aight. I usually skip it. Sounds eerily like another song. Much like how Born This Way sounds like Madonna’s ‘Express Yourself’.
9. Black Jesus + Amen Fashion – This one starts out dark but it turns into a sassy strut-it-on-the-runway type of song. You’d think it’d be all anti-religious or controversial due to the name, but it’s not. It’s really about, to me, finding that new trend. Favorite lyric: Jesus is the new black.
10. Bad Kids – My third favorite song. Pretty simple. It doesn’t sound as thoroughly produced as the other tracks.
11. Fashion of His Love – This one is supposedly about the late Alexandar McQueen. It’s good, but the chorus is my favorite part. Sounds eerily close to “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” by Whitney Houston.
12. Highway Unicorn (Road To Love) – You know how there is that one track that you always skip on an album? …Yeah, this one is it for me.
13. Heavy Metal Lover- My second favorite song. It’s SO simple. The “Oooh Oohh Oohh Heavy Metal Lover” is so slow and rhythmic and catchy. I just love it. I usually like at least one slow song on and album, so this one is mine.
14. Electric Chapel - It’s aight. You can skip this one.
15. The Queen – A little slow, but the best part is the last minute an a half. The chill guitar solo is so different from the song you just want to sway back and forth with a beer in your hand.
16. You and I – The only ballad on the album. Pretty good! So much soul and work was put into this record, you can tell. I can’t listen to it over and over, but it’s at a place in the album and sandwiches nicely between tracks 15 and 17.
17. The Edge of Glory – I’d call this one a sleeper hit. It was originally supposed to just be a promo-single but it’s so amazing it was forced to be a single. I just imagine running around the streets of DTLA with this blaring and I can take on the world. It’s a damn good song, not super dance-able like Judas, but it’s a feel-good-I-can-do-anything type of song.
I’d give this an 8/10. Although, I’m super biased because I’m a Little Monster, myself, but this will definitely be in my playlist well into the fall. And did you see her promo with GoogleChrome? The girl really knows how to market herself and her album.